ICAI introduced the Direct Entry Scheme with effect from 1st August 2012 and according to this scheme, students who have completed their Graduation with specified percentage of marks are exempted from appearing for CPT Exams and can directly appear for IPCC Exams i.e. the Intermediate Level. Salient Features of this scheme are given below.
Direct Entry Scheme for Graduates
The following categories of students are exempted from appearing for CPT:-
- Graduates or Post Graduates in Commerce having secured in aggregate a minimum of 55% of the total marks or its equivalent grade in the examination conducted by any recognized University (including Open University) by studying any three papers of 100 marks each out of Accounting, Auditing, Mercantile Laws, Corporate Laws, Economics, Management (including Financial Management), Taxation (including Direct Tax Laws and Indirect Tax Laws), Costing, Business Administration or Management Accounting;
Graduates or Post Graduates other than those falling under Commerce stream mentioned above having secured in aggregate a minimum of 60% of the total marks or its equivalent grade in the examination conducted by any recognized University (including Open University).
- Candidates who have passed the CS Executive Exams conducted by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India or Candidates who have cleared the CWA Inter Exams conducted by the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
For the purpose of computation of percentage, the following points have been clarified by ICAI:-
- For subjects in which students are only required to obtain passing marks and for which no credits are given by the University, the marks secured in such subjects should not be included while computing the percentage.
- Any percentage of half or more should be rounded up to the next whole number.
Commencement of Articleship training for Graduates under Direct Entry Scheme
Students enrolling for the CA Curriculum under the direct entry scheme after Graduation/ Post Graduation have to start their articleship training before appearing for the Intermediate Level (IPCC).
For students enrolling for CA Curriculum through the CPT Route, they are first required to clear 1st group of IPCC and then start articleship training whereas for Students availing the benefit of the direct entry scheme, they first have to complete min 9 months of articleship training before being eligible to appear for Intermediate Level Exams.
Students are required to complete a total of 3 years of articleship training under a CA (equivalent to internship). This period of 9 months of training before appearing for IPCC is included in the total duration of 3 years of articleship training.
However, candidates who are enrolling into the CA Curriculum through the Direct Entry Route on the basis of their clearing CS Inter or CWA Inter have to first clear IPCC Group 1 before starting articleship.
Provisional Registration for Students pursuing Graduation
Sudents in the final year of Graduation can also apply for provisional registration for IPCC. They can also complete the ITT Course and Orientation Course which is mandatorily required to be completed before starting their articleship training. However, they can start their Articleship Training only after appearing for final year graduation exams.
Moreover, their registration would be confirmed only after submission of Mark Sheet and Pass Certificate of Final year Exams.
Registration Fees for Direct Entry Students
|Fresh Registration||Requirement of||Fee Payable|
|1. Students enrolling||Registration for both Groups||9000|
|after Graduation/||Register for||Article Registration Fees||2000|
|Post Graduation||Both Groups||ATC Fees (Optional)||1000|
|Provisional||Payable for undergoing course:-|
|Registration||Orientation Course Fee||3000|
|ITT Course Fee||4000|
|2. Students enrolling||Register for either||Registration for both Groups, or||9000|
|after CS Inter/||Group I or||Registration for Group I||8000|
|CWA Inter||Both Groups||ATC Fees (Optional)||1000|
|Payable for undergoing Articleship|
|Article Registration Fees||2000|
|Payable for undergoing course:-|
|Orientation Course Fee||3000|
|ITT Course Fee||4000|
Recommended Read for Direct Entry Students
- Detailed Procedure for enrollment through Direct Entry Scheme
- Application Form for enrollment through Direct Entry Scheme
Articleship Relaxation for Students converting to Direct Entry Scheme
Students who enrolled for the CA Course through the CPT Scheme but have now completed their Graduation are also eligible to appear for exams through the Direct Entry Route. Such students can convert their Registration to Direct Entry Route.
- Recommended Read: Procedure for Conversion from IPCC to Direct Entry Route
Students who have registered for the CA Course through the CPT Scheme and subsequently appeared for the IPCC Exams but have not cleared either one or both the groups of IPCC can convert to the Direct Entry Scheme if they have completed their Graduation.
Such Students who are converting from the CPT Scheme to the Direct Entry Scheme are exempted from the requirement of completion of 9 months of articleship to be eligible to appear for IPCC Exams through the Direct Entry Scheme. This Relaxation has been granted through the Regulation No. 205 passed on 22nd July 2015 by ICAI.
In other words, students who have already appeared for IPCC Exams and have converted to the Direct Entry Scheme can appear for the remaining groups of IPCC in the immediately next attempt without the requirement for completion of 9 months of articleship. If such students have secured an exemption in IPCC Exams, it would also be granted to them on conversion to the Direct Entry Scheme
It is to be noted that the above relaxation is only for students who have already appeared for IPCC Exams and are now converting to the Direct Entry Scheme. This relaxation is not for fresh enrollments to the Direct Entry Scheme. The condition of completion of 9 months of articleship would now only be applicable to those students who are applying for Fresh Enrollment in the CA Course on the basis of Graduation.
- Recommended Read: Official Announcement regarding Articleship Relaxation by ICAI
In case of any query regarding the Direct Entry Scheme, please leave your query here on our Q&A Forum.