As part of the CA Curriculum, a CA Student is required to complete 3 years of Articleship Training under a Chartered Accountant who in turn pays him Articleship Stipend for the work done by the CA Student.
- Recommended Read: Procedure for Articleship Registration
A CA Student becomes eligible to start Articleship Training on clearing Group I of the IPCC. Although, a CA Student becomes eligible to start Articleship Training on clearing IPCC Group I, he is eligible to enrol himself only after clearing both the groups of IPCC.
- Recommended Read: Procedure for CA Final Registration
Although the period of articleship training for a CA Student is 3 years, he is eligible to appear for CA Final Exams in the last 6 months of articleship. In other words, a CA Student can appear for CA Final Exams after completion of 2.5 years of training.
These 2.5 years of training should be completed on the 1st day of the month in which the exams are to be held and not on the day on which the CA Final Exam Form is submitted.
Minimum Articleship Stipend as per ICAI
ICAI has fixed a minimum articleship stipend which is required to be paid by a CA to all his article trainees. This minimum limit is fixed by ICAI and is required to be paid every month
Classification of the Normal Place of Work of the Articled Assistant
During the 1st year of Training
During the 2nd year of training
During the Remaining
|i. Cities/ Towns having a population of 20 Lakhs & above|
|ii. Cities/ Towns having a population of more than 4 Lakhs but less than 20 Lakhs|
|iii. Cities/ Towns having a population of less than 4 Lakhs|
- The minimum articleship stipend was doubled in Jan 2015 and the articleship stipend mentioned above is the revised articleship stipend.
- The above stated stipend is the monthly articleship stipend which is required to be paid every month in the 1st, 2nd & 3rd year of Articleship
- No stipend is shall be payable for any excess leaves taken (Recommended Read: Maximum Leaves allowed in Articleship)
- In case of Articleship Transfer, the period served under the previous employer would also be taken into account for the payment of stipend. (Recommended Read: Rules for Articleship Transfer)
The stipend shall be paid by the CA to his article assistant either by:-
- A Crossed Account payee Cheque every month against a stamped receipt to be obtained from the Articled Assistant
- By depositing the amount every month in the account opened by the articled assistant in his own name with a branch of the bank to be specified by the CA.
Articleship Stipend paid by the Big 4’s
Although the minimum articleship stipend is fixed by ICAI, there is no maximum limit and a CA is free to pay any amount as stipend to his articled assistant. Usually, it is the Big 4 CA Firms which pay the highest stipend to ca articles.
The approx average articleship stipend paid by the Big 4’s to CA Articles in Metro Cities is as follows
This is the approx average articleship stipend paid by Big 4’s and it may differ from city to city.
- Ayush Jain shares his experience of working in a Big 4
- Mayank Goel shares his Experience of Interview in EY, KPMG & Deloitte