TDS Return is required to be filed by the assessee who has deducted the TDS. TDS Returns are required to be filed after specified intervals and details to be furnished in these returns include fields like TAN No., TDS Payment, amount deducted, type of payment, PAN No. etc.
- Recommended Read: Procedure for deposit of TDS Payment online
TDS Return Form
Different TDS Forms have been prescribed depending on the purpose of deduction of TDS. The various TDS Forms are as follows:-
|Form 24Q||Statement for tax deducted at source from salaries|
|Form 26Q||Statement for tax deducted at source on all payments except salaries|
|Form 27Q||Statement for deduction of tax from interest, dividend, or any other sum payable to non-residents|
|Form 27EQ||Statement of collection of tax at source|
The quarterly return statements should be accompanied by a signed verification in Form No. 27A. Form 27A is a control chart of quarterly TDS/TCS statements to be filed by deductors/collectors alongwith quarterly statements. It is a summary of TDS/TCS returns which contains control totals of ‘amount paid’ and ‘income tax deducted at source’.
The control totals of ‘amount paid’ and ‘income tax deducted at source’ mentioned on Form No. 27A should match with the corresponding control totals in TDS/TCS return. A separate Form No. 27A is to be filed for each TDS/TCS return.
TDS Return in Electronic Format (e-TDS Returns)
As per Section 206, the tds forms have to be mandatorily filed in electronic media by the following class of assesses:-
- All Corporate Deductors/ Collectors (Notification No. 205/2003 dated 26 August 2003)
- All Govt Deductors/Collectors (vide Finance Act 2004)
- Where the deductor/Collector is required to get his accounts audited under section 44AB in the immediately preceding financial year
- Where the no. of deductees/collectees records in a quarterly statement for one quarter of the immediately preceding financial year is equal to or more than 20 (Notification No. 41/2010 dated 31 May 2010)
All other assesses except those specified above have the option either to furnish the return in physical format or electronic format.
TDS Return Due Date
From 1st June 2016 onwards, the Due Date for filing TDS Return (both online as well as physical) is as follows:-
|Quarter||Due Date for Form 24Q & Form 26Q||Form 27Q||Form 27EQ|
|April to June||31st July||31st July||31st July|
|July to Sept||31st Oct||31st Oct||31st Oct|
|Oct to Dec||31st Jan||31st Jan||31st Jan|
|Jan to March||31st May||31st May||31st May|
NSDL TDS Return Software
TDS Returns which are required to be submitted electronically are prepared with the help of return preparation utility. To facilitate easy preparation of returns, the Govt has also launched a TDS Return Preparation Utility (RPU). This utility can be downloaded free of cost from here.
There are various other 3rd party private return preparation utilities as well through which the TDS Returns can be filed electronically. The list of private return preparation utilities through which the returns can be filed are mentioned in this link. Most of these private utilities are paid utilities as compared to the NSDL Return Preparation Utility which is free.
There are various other softwares as well which have been prepared by private vendors and can be used to file TDS Returns. The list of Software Providers for e-TDS Returns has been given in this link
Submission of TDS Return
The returns can be submitted at any of the TIN-FC’s managed by NSDL. Tin FC’s are set up at specified locations across the country. The details and address of all TIN-FC’s have been uploaded in this link.
The return can also be furnished directly at the NSDL TIN website. In case the deductor opts for submission of return online, he would be required to sign the return through his digital signatures.
At the time of submission of return, if your return is complete in all aspects, a provisional receipt/token no. would be issued. The provisional receipt/token no. is an acknowledgement of the fact that the return has been filed. In case of non-acceptance of your return, a non-acceptance memo would be issued stating the reasons for rejection
Charges for submission of TDS Return
The following charges to be paid at the time of submission of return.
|No. of Deductee Records in TDS Return||Upload Charges (excl. of Service Tax)|
|Returns having upto 100 records||Rs. 31.15|
|Returns having 101 to 1000 records||Rs. 178|
|Returns having more than 1000 records||Rs. 578.50|
TDS Return Status
TDS Return Status of the statement filed by the assessee can be checked online by furnishing the PAN No. and the Provisional Receipt No./Token No. on the following link of NSDL website – https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/TIN/JSP/tds/linktoUnAuthorizedInput.jsp
Penalty for delay in filing of TDS Return
Late filing of TDS Return
As per Section 234E applicable wef 1st July 2012, in case an assessee fails to submit the TDS Return before the due date, he shall be liable to pay a penalty of Rs. 200 per day till the time the default continues. However, the total penalty computed @ 200/day should not exceed the total amount of tax deducted.
Non-filing of TDS Return
A person shall also be liable to penalty in case the return has not been filed within 1 year from the due date of filing of return or if incorrect information has been delivered. The penalty levied should not be less than Rs. 10,000 and not be more than Rs. 1,00,000.
Revision of TDS Return
In case of any errors are noticed after the submission of return, a correction statement can be filed by the deductor. The above mentioned charges would also be required to be again paid in case a Revised Return is filed by the deductor.
Revised Return can be filed multiple times to incorporate any changes. (Recommended Read: How to file a Revised TDS Return)
Relevant points regarding TDS Return filing
- A single return should not be broken into parts and filed in 2 separate media. It has to be in a single media
- More than 1 TDS Return can be filed in the same computer media
- You can also file the return in compressed form using Winzip
- On acceptance of the e-tds return, the computer media would be returned to the deductor.
- If the e-TDS/TCS return file is complete in all aspects, TIN-FC will issue a provisional receipt to you. The provisional receipt issued by TIN-FC is deemed to be the proof of e-TDS/TCS return filed by you.
- In case of non-acceptance of your e-TDS/TCS return file, TIN-FC will issue a Non-Acceptance Memo which will state reason for rejection.
- TDS Return is required to be furnished in all cases as per the above mentioned procedure except in case of TDS on Property which is to be furnished in Form 26QB which is a challan-cum-return form.