The DIN is a unique identifier for an existing or a future Director containing personal information about him. The need for introducing the unique identifier arose from
- The need to create a rich and authentic data base for the Directors and
- To address the phenomena of Companies that raising capital from public and subsequently vanish, with their Directors became untraceable.
This DIN concept not only helps in fixing the identity of the person but also co-relates his participations in other companies, past or present. The DIN holder is required to inform the Central Government about any change in his particulars as and when such change takes place.
Application for Allotment of Director Identification No.
As per the revised procedure for DIN Allotment, any person intending to apply for DIN shall have to make an application in eForm DIN 1 and should follow the following procedure:
- Log on to the MCA Website
- Click on – Obtain Director Identification Number
- Fill up the form for DIN Application and Attach the photograph and scanned copy of supporting documents i.e. proof of identity, and proof of residence as per the guidelines. Physical documents are not required to submit at DIN cell.
- Along with the supporting documents, verification by the applicant for applying for allotment of Director Identification Number (DIN) shall also be attached. This shall contain the Name, Father’s name, date of birth and text of declaration and physical signature of the applicant.
- The eForm shall have to be digitally signed and shall be uploaded on MCA 21 portal
- Upon upload, Pay the fees for DIN1 eForm: Only electronic payment of the fees shall be allowed (i.e. Netbanking / Credit Card). No challan payment will be accepted under revised procedure of DIN allotment.The applicant is required to get himself/herself registered on the MCA 21 Portal to obtain login id, which is necessary for payment of the fees. After obtaining the login-id, Login to the MCA21 portal and click on ‘eForm upload’ link available under the ‘eForms’ tab for uploading the eForm DIN 1. eForm DIN-1 will be processed only after the DIN application fee is paid.
- Upon upload and successful payment: In case Form DIN 1 is signed by a practicing professional and details have not been identified as potential duplicate, Approved DIN shall be generated and if the details have been identified as potential duplicate, Provisional DIN shall be generated.In case Form DIN 1 is signed by an applicant or by the Managing Director/ existing director of the Company in which the applicant is a Director or the Company Secretary in full time employment of the Company, or details have been identified as a potential duplicate, provisional DIN shall be generated.
- Processing of e Form DIN 1:In case, DIN 1 gets certified by the professional ( i.e. CA/ CS/ CWA in whole time practise), the DIN will be approved by the system immediately online(in case it is not potential duplicate). In case of signing by any other signatory (i.e. director/ Managing Director/ secretary of the company with which applicant is to be associated), the MCA DIN cell will examine the e Form DIN 1 and same shall be disposed of within 1/2 days.
- On approval of DIN, intimate your DIN to all the company (ies) (within a period of 30 days from the date of approval) in which you are a Director, in form DIN-2. Form DIN-2 can be downloaded and printed from the ‘DIN’ link on the homepage of MCA 21 portal.
- Company to intimate your DIN to ROC: After the Director has intimated the DIN allotted to the company(ies). The Company(ies) is/are then required to intimate the DINs of its directors to the ROC in Form DIN-3 within a period of 7 days of receiving form DIN-2
- Post-approval changes in particulars of DIN-1: If there is any change in the particulars submitted in form DIN-1, applicant can submit e-form DIN-4 online. For instance in the event of change of address of a director, he/ she is required to intimate this change by submitting eform DIN-4 along with the required attested documents.
Common Reasons for Rejection of DIN
- Applicant’s name and father’s name mentioned in abbreviated form. – The Name should be expanded even if the ID proof contains the name in abbreviated form.
- Mismatch in the Name and Father’s Name in DIN form with the ID (Identity) proof enclosed. – Any mismatch in Name, including spelling mistake, may lead to rejection of application. Minor spelling deviations in the father’s name may be accepted, if such deviations do not materially impact the name.
- Prefixes like Mr. / Ms. / Kumari / Shri etc. used in the applicant’s name.
- Residence proofs like: Bank Statements, Electricity Bill, Telephone Bill, Utility bills etc. submitted are older than 2 months of submitting the application for verification OR such documents are in the name of some other person, for example father or spouse.
- The supporting documents are not duly attested i.e. Name, Designation, Membership/ Practicing certificate number etc. are not clearly indicated. – If the seal/ stamp does not contain membership/ practicing certificate number, same may be recorded by hand.
- Passport / Driving License / Identity proofs etc attached are expired. – Only such documents which are currently valid should be attached.