To apply for a CPA License, an applicant is required to clear all the papers of uniform CPA Exam as well as have 1-2 years of relevant work experience. The work experience required to apply for a licensure varies from state to state. However, all states require a person to have relevant work experience before applying for a CPA Licensure.
The CPA Licensure applicant is also required to get his experience verified from a CPA before applying for the CPA License.
NASBA launches CPA Verification Service
Many CPA Applicants were facing difficulties in finding a CPA who could verify their experience. To make it easier for the CPA Applicants, NASBA has launched the Experience Verification service which will help CPA applicants get their experience verified.
The National Association of State Accounting Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) which is an association dedicated to serving the state boards of accountancy, has launched this service to all domestic as well as international applicants. This service was created in response to the accounting professions increasing need for a more coherent and standardised experience validation and verification process.
Through this efficient experience verification process, NASBA will connect the applicant seeking CPA Licensure with a Client Manager who will guide them with the complete application process, followed by verification of work experience by the Data Flow Group (a global provider of specialised verification and background screening services) and an interview with a licensed CPA to further validate the applicants requisite experience and determine if the applicant is qualified for a license.
To apply for the Experience Verification service, an applicant must have passed all the papers of the Uniform CPA Exam and meet the educational and experience requirements for licensure (as specified by the specific accountancy board)
Procedure to avail the NASBA Experience Verification Service
- Applicants interested in availing this service shall submit an Interest Form on this link – https://nasba.org/products/experienceverification/interestform/
- A NASBA Client Manager will contact you within 2 business days to discuss your experience and determine if the service is right for you.
- The NASBA Client Manager will guide you through the application process
- Your work experience would be verified by the local provider. This may take 2 to 3 weeks before your interview with a CPA is scheduled.
- After your experience has been verified with the local provider, an interview would be conducted with a CPA. This interview will happen or over a phone or Skype C
- A comprehensive report will be prepared by NASBA and sent to the Board of Accountancy.
You may also refer to this video prepared by NASBA explaining the experience verification service –
This whole process for Experience Verification will take around 4 to 6 weeks but in rare situations, this may take up to 12 weeks. This is a very thorough service and the applicant will receive guidance from the NASBA Client Manager at every step.
A copy of the Experience Verification report as well as the final recommendation sent by NASBA to the Board would also be shared with the applicant. The fees for availing this service for domestic US applicants is $ 500 and for international applicants is $ 700.