Challan No/ ITNS 280 is required to be used for the payment of Income Tax. This payment of Income Tax may be in the form of Advance Tax, Self Assessment Tax, Tax on Regular Assessment, Surcharge, Tax on Distributed Profits or Tax on Distributed Income.
- Recommended Read: Income Tax Slab Rates
Income Tax can be paid online as well as through cash/cheque/demand draft at various designated bank branches. Whether you pay tax online or by visiting the bank, Challan No/ ITNS 280 would be required to be filed in all the cases.
If you intent to pay Income Tax by visiting the bank, you can download the Challan No/ ITNS 280 through the following links, furnish all relevant details in form Challan No/ ITNS 280 and deposit it with the bank along with payment of income tax.
Payment of Income Tax can be made online as well and the following article is a detailed guide for beginners on how to pay Income Tax online using Challan No/ ITNS 280.
Challan No/ ITNS 280 to pay Income Tax Online
To pay Income Tax Online, the tax payer is required to open the link – https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp and then click on Challan No/ ITNS 280 for the payment of Income Tax & Corporation Tax. This will open the Challan No/ ITNS 280 wherein all requisite details should be furnished by the taxpayer.
The following are Instructions (along with screenshots) to be followed while furnishing Challan No/ ITNS 280
- Tax Applicable: If the Income Tax is being levied on a Company, the option to be selected in Challan No/ ITNS 280 is (0020) – Income Tax on Companies. In all other cases, i.e. where income tax is not being levied on a company and is being levied on others like Partnership Firm, LLP, Individual etc – the option to be selected in Challan No/ ITNS 280 is (0021) – Other than Companies.
- PAN No. & Full Name: The taxpayer should carefully furnish the PAN No. in Challan 280 as a wrong PAN No. would lead to the tax being deposited on somebody else’s name. The option for mentioning the name of the taxpayer cannot be manually furnished Challan 280 and it would be automatically fetched from the name on the PAN No. The name would be displayed on the confirmation screen after you click the submit button.
- Assessment Year: The Assessment Year for which the tax is being paid should be carefully selected in Challan No/ ITNS 280 as it displays the option pay the tax for previous years as well. The Assessment Year is the next year to the financial year.
- Type of Payment: In this option, the taxpayer is required to select the type of payment in Challan 280. If the tax is being paid for the same financial year on the basis of the estimated income – it would be Advance Tax whereas if the tax is being paid after the end of the financial year – it would be Self Assessment Tax.
- Bank Name: The name of the bank through which you intent to make the online payment is to be selected in this box.
- Amount of Tax: The amount of income tax to be paid is not mentioned in Challan No/ ITNS 280 and would be mentioned on the bank website.
Once you have furnished all relevant details, process the proceed button given at the bottom of the page and it would lead to a confirmation page wherein all details as furnished by you would be displayed. The Full name of the taxpayer would also be displayed as mentioned on the PAN Card.
If all details displayed on the confirmation screen are correct, press the button – “Submit to the Bank” or else press the “Edit” button which will again take you back to the first page to edit the details.
Once all details have been verified by you as correct and submitted to the bank, your banker will ask you to login to your bank account. Once logged in, it will ask you for the amount of Income tax you would like to pay, the surcharge levied on the same (if any), education cess levied on the same, Interest and penalty levied (if any).
On submitting these details, press the “Calculate tax button” and it will show the total tax to be paid (incl. the surcharge, education cess, interest & penalty). You are requested to make this payment online.
Once you have made the payment online, a challan counterfoil would be instantly available on the screen with the CIN i.e. the Challan Identification No. The challan for payment can also be printed/ saved on your computer.
It is important for the taxpayer to keep a copy of this challan safely as the Challan Identification Number (CIN) on this counterfoil should be quoted in the income tax return.
Check if Payment through Challan No./ ITNS 280 has reached Income Tax Deptt.
The income tax dept. has also provided the taxpayers with a facility wherein they can check their challan status and check whether the payment deposited online or through banks via Challan No/ ITNS 280 has reached the tax department or not.
This information can be verified through the following link:-
On furnishing the Challan Identification No. and various other requisite details, the above link will confirm if the payment has reached the Income Tax Department.
Please note that it takes a few days for the payment to be reflected on the above mentioned link.