A few years back ICAI introduced the Accounting Technician Course (ATC) for candidates interested in becoming normal accountants but not a Chartered Accountant.
A Candidate may either specifically register with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India for pursuing the Accounting Technician Course only or may register for pursuing the whole Chartered Accountancy Course and then opt for the Accounting Technician Course mid-way.
- Recommended Read: How to pursue the Chartered Accountancy Course (CA Course)
A Candidate may register for the Accounting Technician Course directly after clearing Class XIIth or after completing Graduation. Candidates enrolling after Class XIIth would be required to appear for CPT and the ATC Exam whereas a candidate enrolled via the Direct Entry Scheme for Graduates can also appear for the ATC Exam and CPT Exam would be exempted for such students.
Accounting Technician Course (ATC)
On successful completion of the following 3 stages, a person would be awarded the Accounting Technician Degree by ICAI:-
- On clearing the Accounting Technician Exam (i.e. IPCC Group I Exam)
- On completing the 35 hours Orientation and 100 hours Information Technology Training
- On completion of 12 months of work experience under a Chartered Accountant or Articleship Training. (Recommended Read: Guidelines for Imparting Accounting Technician Training – Work Experience)
The procedure for pursuing the Accounting Technician Course after Class XIIth has been explained diagrammatically hereunder:-
Candidates enrolled via the Direct Entry Route would also be required to follow the above mentioned steps except for the fact that they would be exempted from appearing for the CPT Exam.
- Recommended Read: CPT Exemption and Direct Entry Scheme for Graduates
A person who is enrolled for the CA Course may also avail the Accounting Technician Degree after completing IPCC Group I and on successful completion of 12 months of articleship. He can continue pursuing the CA Course even after availing the Accounting Technician Degree.
The Fee Structure for pursuing the Accounting Technician Course with or without the Chartered Accountancy course has been given in this link.
On completion of the above 3 things, a person would be required to submit an application to ICAI for applying for the Accounting Technician Certificate in the form attached here under:-
- Application Form for Applying for Accounting Technician Certificate Online
- Application Form for Applying for Accounting Technician Certificate to be submitted at ICAI Office
Relevant points regarding Accounting Technician Course
- It has been clarified by ICAI that partial completion of articled training period cannot be treated as completion of 12 months work experience nor based on that ‘Accounting Technician Certificate’ shall be issued.
- There is no maximum age limit for pursuing the ATC Course.
- The main aim of all courses of ICAI is to impart learning. Although it helps in job assistance for its courses, but it never guarantees any job placement for any of its courses.